Skype for iPad is official. The video calling app is now optimized for Apple’s iPad tablet and is ready for downloaded from the iTunes App Store.
Skype for iPad takes advantage of the iPad’s large screen, using an interface that maximizes the screen’s real estate, and allows users to see the person on the other end in full screen. It also takes advantage of the iPad 2’s dual cameras, allowing users to switch to the rear camera to show the person at the other what they can see. Skype for iPad of course allows calls to land lines and mobile devices, but it’s for a fee.
Additional tablet-optimized features of Skype for iPad include:
- Two-way video calling. You can use Skype to do video call with Skype enabled devices like iPhones, Android phones, Macs, Windows PCs and HDTVs.
- Instant messaging. You can even instant message during a video call on your iPad, with emoticons to personalize your message.
- Simple to view contacts. Contacts are displayed in a grid on Skype for iPad, showing large avatar photos.
- Easy navigation. You can see recent Skype conversations and history at the touch of a button.
- Simple SMS texting. An SMS text message can be sent by simply opening a contact and selecting SEND SMS or by opening the dial pad, typing in the number you wish to SMS and then typing your message.