In today’s surprising news, MVP (Manny V. Pangilinan) has just announced that Smart is now offering free internet to Smart, Sun and TNT prepaid subscribers. To avail of the promo, text FREE and send to 9999. Take note that this is just for prepaid subscribers. Postpaid is said to have their own promo soon.
The offer is available to active prepaid subscribers who have at least P1 load. The promo will run starting today and will end on November 30, 2014. You have to register daily, as that is only good for a day.
There are caveats though. For starters, you have free all-day internet access initially up to 30MB only. And you CAN only use it for the following:
- Browse through or post photos and status updates on their social networking sites (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Read news and entertainment sites (Rappler, CNN, and the like)
- Stream music through the likes of Spinnr
- Shop online (Zalora, Lazada, eBay, Amazon, etc.)
- Search for information (Google, Wikipedia, Yahoo!, etc.)
- Send and receive emails (Gmail, Yahoo! Mail)
- Visit their favorite blogs and update their own
- Use navigation apps like Waze
And here’s what you CAN’T do with it:
- Download, stream and watch videos (Youtube, Vimeo)
- Use VOIP apps (FaceTime, FaceTime Audio, Skype, Viber, Tango)
- Use messaging apps (Whatsapp, WeChat, Line, Viber)
- Peer-to-peer file-sharing sites and apps like Bittorrent
What a way to start today! This is definitely good news. I wonder what the speed would be though. Smart’s website notes that “Speed will depend on several factors, such as the device/handset being used, the location and the time of use of the subscriber. The service is delivered across all network platforms – 2G/3G/4G. Minimum speed is 12kbps.”
But still, free 30MB is still free 30MB. At the moment, the other network has nothing like that on the table. And for me, at least, free 30MB-a-day mobile internet is enough.