It’s a date! The ASUS ZenFone 3 Zoom is officially coming to the Philippines on April 6, 2017.
ASUS ZenFone 3 Zoom is coming
When the ASUS ZenFone 3 Zoom was announced, we had an inkling that it was just a matter of time before it arrived in the Philippines. And now, there’s a launch date — April 6, 2017.
ASUS ZenFone 3 Zoom
The original Zoom was (more or less) a breakthrough in smartphone optical zoom technology. The device used a 10-element lens setup to provide up to 3-times lossless optical zoom. It was clunky and okay at best. This time though, ASUS intends to build on top of what it started using a different approach.
The ZenFone 3 Zoom features a two 12MP camera system powered by Sony IMX362 sensors. The zoom effect will be similar to how Apple does it on the iPhone 7 Plus (which by the way, I surprisingly enjoy and love). It will use the second lens to provide the 2.3-times optical zoom, with no need for motors effectively eliminating the bulk that made its predecessor so clunky.
One of the main draws of the system, I surmise, is how the two lenses can also be used to provide bokeh effects when taking photos.
Midrange Smartphone Super Zoom
As previously stated, the ZenFone 3 Zoom‘s specs though, are midrange. It is powered by an octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 processor, paired with 4GB of RAM and an Adreno 506 GPU. The phone also features a metal unibody build and fronts a 5.5-inch full HD AMOLED display with Corning’s Gorilla Glass 5. It also packs a large 5,000 mAh battery (a Godsend if it at least comes close to Max standby times).
As always, there is limited information regarding availability and price. And as excited as I am to get my hands on one, buying it could be out of reach as I think this one will command a premium.
ASUS ZenFone 3 Zoom (ZE553KL) Specs:
- 5.5-inch Full HD AMOLED Display (1920 x 1080), Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- 2.0 GHz Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 625
- Adreno 506 GPU
- 4GB RAM
- Up to 128GB Storage +microSD via 2nd SIM Slot
- Dual 12MP Main Camera w/ Sony IMX362 Sensor, Dual LED Flash, 1/2.55” Sensor, 1.4um Pixel Size
- Secondary Zoom Camera 2.3X Optical Zoom, 59mm Focal Length, Up to 12x Digital Zoom
- 13MP Front Camera w/ 1/3.06” Sony IMX214 Sensor, 1.12um Pixel Size
- ASUS TriTech+ Auto Focus System (Laser, OIS, EIS)
- Dual Nano SIM, Dual Standby
- Wi-Fi b/g/n
- Bluetooth v4.2
- GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, BDSS
- USB Type-C
- FM Radio
- Fingerprint Sensor, IR Sensor
- Android 6.0 w/ ASUS ZenUI 3.0
- Dimensions: 6.07 x 3.03 x .31 in; 170 g
- Colors: Navy Black, Glacier Silver, Rose Gold
For more geek-centric news and reviews, please follow us on Facebook (facebook.com/TechnoBaboy), YouTube (TechnoBryan), Twitter (@technobaboy), and Instagram (technobryan). We’ll do our best to keep you up-to-date.