The leak was right after all. Apple unveiled three new iPhones — the iPhone 8, the iPhone 8 Plus, and the iPhone X. The new devices feature all-new glass design, a new processor and wireless charging.
iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus: Price, Specs
Amidst the leaks, the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus is finally official. Both devices carry Retina HD IPS LCD displays with the former measuring in at 4.7-inch screen and the latter with 5.5-inches. Both displays support True Tone which automatically adjusts white balance, depending on the lighting environment.
Under the hood, you have Apple’s new A11 Bionic processor which the company claims is the most powerful and smartest chip ever in a smartphone. The hexa-core SoC has four efficiency cores that are up to 70 percent faster than the A10 Fusion chip, and two performance cores that are up to 25 percent faster. It also has turbo boost where the phone uses all six cores simultaneously, and an embedded M11 motion co-processor.
The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus both have glass front and back panels with an aerospace-grade aluminum frame. Although they share the same design language as the previous models, the new ones are a tad smaller than the 7 and 7 Plus. They also share the IP67 splash, dust and water resistance.
As for the cameras, the iPhone 8 packs a 12MP rear camera with an f/1.8 aperture lens. The 8 Plus boasts a dual rear camera setup of 12MP+12MP with one providing a wide-angle and the other telephoto. Both devices cameras are equipped with OIS, PDAF, quad LED True Tone flash, 4K video shooting capability, and a sapphire crystal lens cover.
On the iPhone 8 Plus, a new Portrait Lighting mode is introduced. The dual cameras work with facial landmarking that allows the users to add dramatic lighting effects while shooting in Portrait mode.
The iPhone 8 comes in 64GB and 256GB flavors with a price of USD699 and USD849. The iPhone 8 Plus costs USD100 more at USD799 and USD949. Pre-order starts on September 15, with release date on September 22.
iOS 11 will be available for download on September 19.
iPhone 8 / iPhone 8 Plus Specs:
- iPhone 8: 4.7-inch Retina HD w/ True Tone IPS Display (1334 x 750; 326ppi)
- iPhone 8 Plus: 5.5-inch Retina HD w/ True Tone IPS Display (1920 x 1080; 401ppi)
- 3D Touch, Dual Domain Pixels
- Hexa-core A11 Bionic Processor, 64-bit
- M11 Motion Coprocessor
- 2GB RAM
- 64/128GB Storage
- Rear Cameras:
- iPhone 8: 12MP Rear Camera, f/1.8
- iPhone 8 Plus: Dual Rear Camera 12MP + 12MP, Wide-angle f/1.8, Telephoto f/2.8, Optical Zoom, Portrait Mode
- Both: OIS, PDAF, Quad LED True Tone Flash, 4K Video, Sapphire Crystal Lens Cover, AR ready
- LTE 4G
- Wi-Fi 802.11ac
- Bluetooth v5.0
- GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, QZSS
- Fingerprint Scanner, NFC
- Stereo Speakers: 25% Louder than previous model
- Lightning Port
- IP67 Splash, Water and Dust Resistant
- iOS 11
- iPhone 8: 5.45 x 2.65 x 0.29 in; 148 g
- iPhone 8 Plus: 6.24 x 3.07 x 0.30 in; 202 g
- Fast Charging, Wireless Charging
For more geek-centric news and reviews, please follow us on Facebook (facebook.com/TechnoBaboy), YouTube (TechnoBryan), Twitter (@technobaboy), and Instagram (technobryan). We’ll do our best to keep you up-to-date.