Amid the leaks and rumours the Samsung Galaxy S9 is finally official. The phone features an octa-core Exynos 9810 processor, and a 12MP camera with variable aperture.
Samsung Galaxy S9 Philippines
Despite all the leaks, the Samsung Galaxy S9 still managed to surprise and awe. One of the year’s most highly anticipated smartphones is finally here. So, what does it offer? Let’s take a quick look at what makes it tick.
The Samsung Galaxy S9 features a 5.8-inch WQHD+ Super AMOLED display surrounded by tiny bezels. It has a resolution of 2960 x 1440, with a 568 ppi pixel density. The display has an 18.5:9 aspect ratio, with an 84.2% screen-to-body ratio.
The S9’s body is a combination of Gorilla Glass 5 on both the front and back, sandwiching an aluminum frame. The screen gently slopes on the sides, creating a seamless transition of glass and metal.
The fingerprint scanner is now in a more convenient place underneath the camera, rather than at the side of the it like last year’s model.
Inside, the Galaxy S9 is powered by an octa-core Samsung Exynos 9810 processor, paired with 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage, expandable via its dual hybrid nano-SIM card holders. Graphics are handled by a Mali G72-MP18 GPU.
Looking at the cameras, the Galaxy S9 packs a 12MP rear camera with a dual aperture of f/1.5 and f/2.4, OIS, and 2x optical zoom. Dual aperture means you can choose between the two apertures while shooting, allowing for better control of creativity and bokeh. The front camera uses an 8MP sensor with f/1.7 lens.
One of the highlights of the new camera is the Super Slo-mo mode that lets you shoot slow motion videos at 960fps. Another new feature is the AR Emoji, which translates your photo into an Emoji sticker.
- Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ Philippines now open for pre-order
- Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ camera samples
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ launched; Official specs and Philippine price
The rest of the specs are what you’d expect from a Samsung flagship. Staples such as DeX Pad support, the Bixby button, IP68 dust and water resistance, the iris scanner, and wireless charging are there. The rest of the specs include dual speakers tuned by AKG, a USB Type-C port, Wi-Fi ac support, 4G LTE Cat. 18, Bluetooth v5.0, and NFC.
The Samsung Galaxy S9 will run on Samsung Experience 9 OS, based on Android 8.0. Battery capacity is at 3,000 mAh with support for fast charging.
Philippine price and availability
The Samsung Galaxy S9 will be available in the Philippines starting March 16, 2018. It will have a suggested retail price of Php45,990 for the 4GB version, and Php52,990 for the 6GB version. Pre-order starts on February 27 to March 6, 2018. Those who pre-order will get an exclusive gift of their choice (AKG speakers, wireless fast charger, or an original case.
Samsung Galaxy S9 specs:
- 5.8-inch WQHD+ 18.5:9 Super AMOLED Display (2960 x 1440, 568ppi) 84.2% STB
- Gorilla Glass 5, Front and Back
- Octa-Core Samsung Exynos 9810, 4 x 2.9GHz Custom CPU + 4 x 1.9GHz ARM Cortex A55
- Mali G72-MP18 GPU
- 4GB/6GB LPDDR4 RAM
- 64GB UFS 2.1 Internal Storage
- 12MP Rear Camera, f/1.5-f/2.4, Super Speed Dual Pixel, OIS, 2x Optical Zoom, Dual-Tone Dual-LED Flash, 2160p@30fps
- Video Recording, Super Slow-mo 960fps @ 720p
- 8MP Front Camera, f/1.7
- Dual Hybrid Nano SIM with MicroSD Card
- 4G LTE Cat. 18 6CA 1.2GBPS
- Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac
- Bluetooth v5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX
- GPS with aGPS, GLONASS, BeiDou
- Iris Scanner, Face Recognition, Fingerprint Sensor
- IP68 Dust and Water Resistance
- Dual AKG Speakers, Dolby ATMOS
- Android 8.0, Samsung Experience 9
- Bixby Vision 2.0
- USB Type-C
- 3,000 mAh Battery, Fast Charge, Wireless Charging
- Dimension: 147.7 x 68.7 x 8.5mm, 168 grams
- Colors: Midnight Black, Lilac Purple
For more geek-centric news and reviews, please follow us on Facebook (facebook.com/TechnoBaboy), YouTube (TechnoBryan), Twitter (@technobaboy), Instagram (technobryan), and Google+ (technobryan). We’ll do our best to keep you up-to-date.