Vivo Philippines shares the 6 ways 5G connectivity improves our modern-day smartphone experience.
5G is the current buzzword when it comes to mobile network technology. Governments in many technologically-driven countries are racing to become the first nation to fully adopt 5G technology — going as far as setting up dedicated taskforces to ensure a timely roll-out of the network.
In the Philippines, local telcos are racing to ensure that their subscribers will be among the first to use 5G in highly populated areas in the country, and eventually, nationwide.
However, one prevailing question from consumers remains: “what exactly is 5G and how will it benefit me?”
To answer this, we must first understand what 5G is. Functionally, 5G is the fifth generation of mobile wireless communications that promises three major benefits – faster speeds, higher bandwidth and lower latency — over its predecessor, 4G.
But how does this benefit our daily lives? For starters, 5G is more than just internet speed. It has the ability to transform the “user experience” and improve the way we live and use our smartphones. With technological advancements brought on by 5G, users will experience reduced lags and delays, which will enable an ultra-smooth and fast digital experience.
Here are some examples of what 5G enables us to do:
1. Send and receive information in an instant. With 5G designed to reduce latency, this generation of wireless technology enables faster transmission of data compared to the currently widespread 4G, allowing users to send and receive text messages faster, make video calls to their loved ones smoothly, and transfer and download big files with almost no waiting time.
2. Buffer-free streaming. In a world where we have grown accustomed to binge watching our favorite series on our smartphones anywhere and anytime we want, it’s frustrating when what we’re watching stops abruptly to continue loading. This happens commonly in crowded spaces with a high volume of people. With too many devices trying to connect to a single network, users are stuck with slower data speeds and lags in video playback.
Through the capabilities of 5G technology, buffering time could almost cease to exist as low latency and higher bandwidth capacities will easily allow users to stream high quality videos, even in crowded spaces. Through its much larger bandwidth capacity, users will no longer fall victim to ‘the spinning wheel of death’ and can seamlessly load any video with ease, even with low-quality connection.
3. Lag-free gaming. Ask any gamer and they’ll tell you that the biggest frustration they face when gaming with mobile data is experiencing lags during an intense mobile match. This is again due to latency in the network, causing an unwanted delay which impacts users’ game reaction time.
Thanks to the low latency of 5G, this will be a thing of the past. Gamers will enjoy a more immersive and interactive mobile gaming experience through new innovations such as remote real-time gaming, online multiplayer mobile gaming, as well as cloud-based gaming.
4. Increase Internet-of-Things (IoT) devices. The speed, bandwidth and low latency offered by 5G will make it possible to manage large numbers of IoT devices more effectively. With this, users can expect to see a slew of innovative new devices, giving users the power to be more connected than ever before.
This benefits users in many ways. For example, when it comes to smart home devices, users can expect increased speeds and reduced lags which will improve how fast connected devices send and receive data and notifications. Besides smart home devices, users can expect almost every IoT device to benefit from increased speeds and connectivity.
5. Benefit from safe and reliable usage. With 5G still in its initial stages of implementation in many countries, there may be concerns among users on its safety and reliability, with the biggest concern being whether 5G could cause certain health issues due to radiation. The International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP) reiterates that 5G does not pose a health risk to users. Plus, when put together, the speed, low latency and high bandwidth capacity that comes together with 5G, mobile users will have a reliable network like never before.
6. Get our hands on affordable 5G-equipped devices soon. With the host of benefits that comes with 5G, some users worry that 5G devices might cost a fortune. With the vivo V20 Pro, however, users can get their hands on a 5G-equipped device at a reasonable price. vivo has also expertly packaged its industry-leading technology into a thin, sleek design for its stylish owners, not to mention that the vivo V20 Pro is the thinnest 5G-capable smartphone in the market today.
The V20 Pro features a 7nm octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 765G which supports 5G networks. This advanced optimization will help users enjoy low latency connections even in “cellular dead zone” areas, like elevators and underground parking in malls. Check out our review for more details: vivo V20 Pro review: Beauty and 5G for the price.
The future holds nothing but exciting new opportunities brought on by the power and capabilities of 5G technology. Coupled with vivo’s strength, experience, and world-class technological expertise—with a top 4 global ranking in the global 5G smartphone production and market share in 2020—users will definitely get the technological performance they need to capture the best moments in life as they stay in the centerstage of keeping up with the latest trends, no matter where they are in the world.