ASUS launches its latest compact smartphone, the Zenfone 9. The handset follows another successful compact phone, the Zenfone 8, featuring a same-sized display with a new design and updated internals.
The Zenfone 9 features a laundry list of top-end specs. Starting in the front, it has a Samsung-made 5.9-inch FHD AMOLED display with a smooth 120Hz refresh rate, 112% DCI-P3 and 151.9% sRGB coverage, and HDR10+ support, all protected by Gorilla Glass Victus.
Inside, it’s powered by the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 chipset, paired with an Adreno 730 GPU, up to 16GB RAM, and up to 256GB storage. It also has a 4300mAh with 30W fast charging.
There are two cameras at the back, headlined by a 50MP main with a large Sony IMX766 sensor, a 6-axis hybrid gimbal stabilizer, and a 2×2 OCL PDAF. The secondary camera has a 12MP sensor with an ultra-wide lens with dual PDAF.
Of course, the Zenfone 9 has stereo speakers, each with a Qualcomm Aqstic amp for better sound quality. The main speaker has a 7-magnet design, while the top one has a 3-magnets. It also has a 3.5mm headphone jack.
Interestingly, ASUS used a side fingerprint scanner on the Zenfone 9, instead of under the display like on the Zenfone 8. But it also works like a tiny touchpad that allows you to scroll up or down by swiping on it.
Another interesting aspect of the Zenfone 9 is that ASUS included a small ecosystem of accessories called the Connex Accessories Set. It’s a case where you can install various accessories, such as a kickstand that can launch YouTube when connected, a cardholder, and a Smart Backpack Mount that use a retractable line to attach the phone to straps or webbing of your backpack.
As for the price, the ASUS Zenfone 9 is priced at €800 for the 8GB + 128GB model, coming to Taiwan, Hong Kong, and parts of Europe first. There’s no news yet if it’s coming to the Philippines, though.
ASUS Zenfone 9 specs
- Display: 5.9-inch FHD AMOLED Display, 120Hz Refresh Rate, 112% DCI-P3, 151.9% sRGB, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus, HDR10+
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1
- RAM: 8GB / 16GB, LPDDR5
- Storage: 128GB / 256GB, UFS3.1
- Rear Cameras: 50MP Main (Sony IMX766, 6-Axis Hybrid Gimbal Stabilizer, 2×2 OCL PDAF) + 12MP Ultra-wide (Sony IMX363, Dual PDAF)
- Front Camera: 12MP Selfie (Sony IMX663, Dual PDAF)
- Network: 5G, 4G LTE
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.2, GPS, NFC
- Others: Stereo Speakers, Dirac HD Sound, IP65/IP68, Qualcomm Aqstic
- OS: Android 12
- Battery: 4300mAh, 30W Fast Charging