Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is already out there but most Android users are not even on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich yet. If you’re on Android 2.2 and higher, getting that Ice Cream Sandwich look and feel should be achievable with launcher apps. Rooting should do the trick but if you’re afraid of what the procedure can do to your device, the launcher app route is the best choice.
Among Ice Cream Sandwich launchers, I find the Holo Launcher to be the best launcher app. It gives non-ICS devices a good looking ICS UI with bonus features and functionalities. The Holo Launcher app is free to download from Google Play so you can go ahead and try it now.
Overall, the Holo launcher app is powerful, fast and highly customizable. There are other launchers that I think are better than Holo like Nova Launcher and Apex Launcher but these two are only available to devices already on Andoid 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. The Holo Launcher is more flexible as it works on Froyo, Gingerbread, ICS and Jelly Bean.
Here are the basic features of Holo Launcher:
- Full ICS Style: ICS Icons, Folders, Outlines, Drawer Tabs, etc.
- Custom Desktop Pages/Grid: Up to 9 desktop pages and 10 x 10 grid.
- Custom Drawer Portrait/landscape Grid
- Scrollable Dock: Up to 7 icons per page and up to 3 pages.
- Infinite Scrolling
- Gestures: Swipe up/down on desktop to launch apps quickly.
- Customizable shortcut/folder icons
- Customizable icon label color
- Apply icon packs, support ADW icon pack and Launcherpro icon pack.
- Desktop Previews: Pinch to access desktop previews.
- Backup and Restore: Backup and restore your settings and shortcuts.
- Other Customization Options: Keep in memory, home key action, hide apps in drawer, hide labels, etc.
If you want more features, you may upgrade to Holo Launcher Plus but you can only download it for a fee. Here are the added features in Holo Launcher Plus:
- Unlimited configurable drawer tabs
- Unread count notifications for call, sms and gmail
- Customizable notification badge color
- More desktop gestures: Pinch in/out, Two Finger Swipe and Double-tap
- Dock icon Swipe up/down gestures
- Support Go Launcher icon pack
- More transition effects
- Widgets overlapping
- 1×1 widgets in dock
- Other enhancement and customization options