Ideaspace, a non-profit entity launched about a year ago, conducted a competition for the best tech startups in the Philippines and the winners have been announced recently. Twenty projects were initially chosen and now it has been narrowed down to just ten. The ten projects will be receiving six months “incubation support” which covers the initial business operations aspect and funding of up to Php 5 million pesos.
IdeaSpace is said to be supported by local companies and academic partners like the Asian Institute of Management and the University of the Philippines-Open University. Support from international companies like Microsoft and Amazon will also mentor the winners of the Ideaspace competition.
Here are the ten winners of the Ideaspace startup competition with brief descriptions of what they are about.
- Armtech – affordable water purification machine for households
- DateCola – natural date-enriched beverages, a healthy alternative to soft drinks
- Mirand – low-cost and high-quality total joint implants for the Asian market
- PGRS – produces electricity via rumble strips installed on high traffic roads
- PinoyTravel – provincial bus seat reservation system using mobile technologies
- PortfolioMNL – online marketplace for creative professionals
- Prodigo – a solution for highly targeted promotions for merchants using Big Data analytics
- Tech4Health – solution for health monitoring of chronic conditions, including diabetes
- TimeFree – SMS-based automated queuing system
- WeGen – new design of wind turbine that is more efficient than current technology
Most of these winners are projects that specifically address issues in emerging economies like the Philippines.