Apple’s new iOS 6 operating system is now available for download. The OS is preloaded on the iPhone 5 but you don’t need Apple’s new smartphone to experience the new features. iOS 6 is compatible with the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S and iPod Touch 4th generation. It is also compatible with the iPad 2 and the new (3rd generation) iPad.
If you are a current iOS user, I’m pretty sure you are interested to know the new features on iOS 6. Apple says there are 200 new features on iOS 6 but most of them are not immediately noticeable. The main features, however, are good enough to get an upgrade, although the maps feature may be important to some. In case you didn’t know, Apple decided to ditch Google Maps and opted to load the iOS with its own Maps app. Early reports say the new Maps app is disappointing and not as detailed and effective as Google Maps. It is however better looking as it has a Flyover feature that shows places in 3D. Other basic improvements include an updated Siri, Facebook integration, Passbook, Panoramic photos and FaceTime over cellular.
Here are the most important updates on iOS 6.
- Maps – As already mentioned, Apple’s new Maps app has 3D “Flyover” imagery. It also has spoken, turn-by-turn GPS directions, although I am not sure if this will work well or if it is available at all to users in the Philippines.
- Facebook – Facebook is now all over iOS. Apps will have the option to post updates on Facebook. Also, Facebook events and contacts are now integrated with the Contacts and Calendar apps.
- Siri – Siri can now launch apps and post updates to Facebook and Twitter.
- Panoramic Photos – The Camera app on iOS 6 now has a panorama mode for capturing images.
- FaceTime Over Cellular – I did not know why Apple did not offer FaceTime video-chat on cellular network before. It was only available over Wi-Fi before, thankfully it can now be used over cellular networks.
- Photo Sharing – iOS 6 alows users to share photos instantly with a group of people.
- Passbook – This is an app that keeps loyalty cards, stored-value cards and travel tickets. I have my doubts if this will be useful in the Philippines.
- Phone Feature – When receiving calls, iOS 6 now shows an option to auto-reply to the caller with a text message.
Not all these features are available on all devices. Siri is only available on the iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, new iPad and 5th-generation iPod Touch. Fyover and turn-by-turn navigation will not be available on the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and 4th-generation iPod Touch and Panoramic pictures are only available on the iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 and 5th-generation iPod Touch.