Sony has started rolling out Android 4.4 KitKat upgrades for the Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z. According to the post, they will start with select markets, and then continue to other countries in the following weeks to come.
In addition to performance tweaks, some of the functionality Xperia owners can look forward to includes:
(From Sony’s website)
- Google’s Android 4.4 KitKat as standard – bringing improved performance & user interface (UI) optimisation…
- If you’ve got a Sony PlayStation 4, you might recognize our new user interface – we’ve added the same sleek launch animation and live wallpaper across the lock and home screens. You’ll also spot a revamped Status Bar and Quick Settings… now more intuitive and customisable (also with a fresh new look)… cleaned up to ensure you only get the notifications you really need
- As you might expect, we’re also uplifting Sony’s entire native app portfolio to the latest versions bringing tweaked / improved / current experiences for one and all… some of our favourites look like:
- Messaging – a few UI adjustments here & there, including a slicker “send” animation, and deeper Emoji support for some expressive fun… also worth noting, you’ll find smileys wherever there’s an app with a keyboard
- Email – you’ll be able to both load and see more mails… but don’t fret, navigation of said load is easier with a more responsive viewing pane – split screen modes divide info for easy digest… especially useful / works a treat on Xperia Tablet Z
- Smart Social Camera – our social imaging experience makes its debut on our first Z Series devices; a selection of Xperia Camera apps directly accessible from your viewfinder… including personal favourite “Creative Effect”, and more for download to boot!
- Battery STAMINA Mode – level-upping our unique power management feature, bringing smarter data management & more for prolonging your juice
- Sony’s Media apps: WALKMAN, Album and Movies, with Sony Entertainment Network cloud service integration* – a more converged and full Sony entertainment experience – Sony Entertainment Network & PlayMemories integration with a more intuitive UI, better download speeds, and more…
- And proving pretty popular, now totaling over 2 million downloads (!) – our unique custom interface experience: “Xperia Themes”, with downloadable UI packs from Sony Select – skin up to 280 assets across your Xperia smartphone with a variety of styles…
- Compatibility with our SmartWear Experience; SmartBand SWR10 and Lifelog app – enabling you to record social, physical and entertainment activities and have them all visualised in a beautiful interface… reminisce at that past, make the best of the present and plan for the future
If you own any of these devices, just be patient and check your phone for the update from time to time. It will eventually get here. The next Xperia devices up for KitKat is the Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia E1 and Xperia M2(and dual variants). It will come in July.
Sony is doing a good job in updating most of their current phones. Not all manufacturers are as supportive of their devices. I wonder if past flagships like the Xperia T, TX, V, etc. will receive the bump to KitKat. Those phones are still very much capable, and deserve at least one more upgrade.
darn but thanks bro ;)
Pj Capalongan hope this helps.. but again.. its unconfirmed..
Pj Capalongan there’s a rumor that the XP L will get 4.3 in june.. but it’s unconfirmed..
nung xp L po magkakaroon nang 4.3 ba :((