Xiaomi finally announced the Mi 8. Features Super AMOLED display with notch, dual cameras, Snapdragon 845, IR facial recognition.
Xiaomi Mi 8
Xiaomi finally unveiled the much awaited Mi 8. The flagship has an iPhone X feel. Its announcement coincides with the company’s 8th anniversary.
The handset comes with a 6.21-inch Super AMOLED full HD+ display, and features a wide notch, tiny bezels, a 2248 by 1080 resolution, and an 18.7:9 aspect ratio.
The reason for the wide notch is that it made room for the infrared lighting module and lens (for 3D facial recognition), along with a 20MP front camera, proximity sensor, and the earpiece.
Inside, the handset is powered by an octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 processor paired with 6GB RAM and up to 256GB of storage. It runs on MIUI 10 on top of Android 8.0 Oreo.
On the imaging front, the Mi 8 boasts dual 12MP + 12MP rear cameras arranged in a vertical orientation. The primary camera packs a 1/2.55-inch sensor with an f/1.8 aperture lens, while the secondary one has a 1/3.4-inch sensor and f/2.4 aperture lens. Selfies are handled by a 2oMP sensor with f/2.0 lens.
As Xiaomi CEO Lei Jun pointed out, the Mi 8 got a score of 99 points overall in DxOMark, with 105 points in photos and besting the Google Pixel 2, the iPhone X, the Huawei Mate 10 Pro, and the Xiaomi Mi MIX 2S.
- Xiaomi Mi 8 leaks; Includes partial specs, Animoji
- Here’s what you can buy at the Mi Store in TriNoma and SM Megamall
- Mi Store in SM Megamall is now open
The Mi 8 ditched the 3.5 headphone jack in favor of a USB Type-C port. It also flaunts dual GPS for more precise navigation, a rear fingerprint sensor, IR face unlock, and a 3,400 mAh battery with fast charging.
The Xiaomi Mi 8 will have a price of CNY 2,699 for the 64GB version, CNY 2,999 for the 128GB, and CNY 3,299 for the 256GB. Converted, that’s around PHP 22,200, PHP 24,700, and PHP 27,500. It will be initially available in China starting June 5, 2018.
An Explorer Edition, which features 8GB/128GB, was also announced and will be priced at CNY 3,799. It will be available one month after the regular Mi 8.
Xiaomi Mi 8 specs:
- 6.21-inch Super AMOLED Full HD+ Display (2248 x 1080, 402 ppi)
- 18.7:9 Ratio, Corning Gorilla Glass
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 Processor
- 6GB RAM
- 256GB Storage
- Dual Rear Cameras, 12MP (f/1.8) + 12MP (f/2.4), 2x Optical Zoom, PDAF, Dual LED Flash
- 20MP Front Camera, f/2.0, 1080p
- Dual Nano SIM
- 4G LTE
- Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, Dual Band
- Bluetooth v5.0, LE, aptX HD
- GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, QZSS
- NFC, USB Type-C
- IR Facial Recognition
- Fingerprint Sensor (Rear-Mounted)
- MIUI 10, Android 8.0 Oreo
- 3,400 mAh Battery, Fast Charging