Valve recently unveiled the Steam Deck, the company’s handheld gaming console. The device is actually a compact PC system that runs on SteamOS, decked with a variety of gaming control buttons.
The Steam Deck takes after the Nintendo Switch with a similar form factor. It has a large 7-inch touchscreen IPS display. For gaming, it has a d-pad, two analog sticks, trigger buttons on the shoulders, and ABXY buttons. There also are programable buttons at the back, and in front, perhaps its most interesting feature, are two square touchpads.
For the hardware, the console is powered by an AMD APU based on the Zen 2 architecture and a GPU that’s based on the RDNA2 architecture. There’s also 16GB LPDDR5 RAM and three types of storage options — 64GB eMMC, 256GB NVMe SSD, and 512GB High Speed NVMe SSD. All models come with a microSD card slot.
The Steam Deck runs on Valve’s own SteamOS 3.0. It is based on Arch Linux, capable of running all games from Steam.
The console has a dock accessory which is sold separately that allows users to connect peripherals such as a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. The dock has a USB-C port, a Display Port, HDMI, a USB-C power port, an ethernet port, a USB-A 3.1, and two USB-A 2.0.
Price and Availability
Steam Deck 64GB: USD 399
Steam Deck 256GB: USD 529
Steam Deck 512GB: USD 649
The Steam Deck is priced at USD 399 for the 64GB variant, USD 529 for the 256GB variant, and USD 649 for the 512GB variant. The handheld gaming console will be available in select regions that include the US, Canada, the UK, and other countries in Europe.
Steam Deck specs
- Display: 7-inch Touchscreen IPS Display, 1280 x 800, 16:10 Aspect Ratio, 60Hz Refresh Rate, 400 Nits
- Processor: AMD APU Zen 2
- GPU: 8 RDNA2 CUs
- RAM: 16GB LPDDR5 RAM
- Storage: 64GB eMMC / 256GB NVMe SSD / 512GB High Speed NVMe SSD, MicroSD Card Slot
- Controls: D-pad, ABXY Buttons, Thumbsticks, 2x Square Trackpads, L/R Triggers, L/R Bumpers, View & Menu Buttons, 4x Grip Buttons, Dedicated Steam Button
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi AC MIMO, Dual Band, Bluetooth 5
- Others: Stereo Speakers, Dual Mics, USB-C, 3.5mm Headphone Jack
- OS: SteamOS 3.0, Arch Linux
- Battery: 40Whr Battery up to 8 hours of Gameplay, 45W Charging
Source: Steam Deck