- Phone: Customize your phone calls with Live Voicemail, which transcribes and plays back messages automatically. Send a call to voicemail with a live transcript of the message. Use Contact Posters to display your name and photo when you call someone. Share content in convenient new ways with SharePlay, which lets you share audio and video content with nearby iPhone users.
- Messages: All your iMessage apps are in one place with the new plus button. Swipe up to view all your iMessage apps. Check In automatically notifies your friends or family when you arrive at your destination. Catch up and swipe to reply to any message in a conversation. Search filters help you find the message you’re looking for faster. Create one-of-a-kind stickers with Live Stickers, emoji, Memoji, and other sticker packs.
- FaceTime: Record a video or audio message when someone misses your FaceTime call. React with your hands using augmented reality effects like hearts, confetti, fireworks, and more. Use your iPhone as a camera and start a FaceTime call directly from the FaceTime app on Apple TV. Leave a message for someone who calls you while you’re on FaceTime.
- StandBy: Turn your iPhone on its side while charging to make it even more useful when you set it down. Live Activities show you what’s happening in real-time, like the score of a game or the progress of your food delivery. Siri results are at a glance with rich visual results that can be viewed from a distance. Interactive Widgets let you take action with just a tap.
iOS 17 is available for compatible devices running iOS 12 or later. To check if the update is available for your iPhone, go to Settings> General> Software Update.
According to Apple, iOS 17 is compatible with the following devices:
- iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XR, iPhone XS Max, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 13, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 14 mini, iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro, and iPhone 14 Pro Max
- iPhone SE (2nd generation) and iPhone SE (3rd generation)
If you own any of the older models not on this list, such as the iPhone X, iPhone 8, and iPhone 7, you will not be able to get iOS 17. You will, however, still receive security updates and bug fixes, but you’ll miss out on the new features and enhancements.