League of Legends kicks off Season 2024 with a video that previews what’s in store for the game, the show Arcane, and the esports scene. The video marks the official start of the League Ranked and tournament season for both casual and professional players and also gives a glimpse of the upcoming content and updates for the year.
Season 2024 will feature new champions and updates, such as Smolder the Fiery Fledgling, Ambessa Medarda from Arcane, Skarner’s visual gameplay update (VGU), and Shyvana’s gameplay update. It will also introduce new and returning skinlines and events, such as Heavenscale, Porcelain, Lunar Revel, PROJECT, and Blood Moon.
Moreover, the new season will bring changes to the Ranked system, the Champion Mastery system, and the anti-cheat software Vanguard. Additionally, new and improved game modes, such as Arena, URF, and One-For-All.
Season 2024 will also celebrates the League’s 15th birthday in October, with special surprises and rewards for the players. It also coincides with the release of Arcane Season 2 in November, which will be accompanied by Arcane-inspired gameplay and characters, an in-game update to a beloved champion in the show, and new skins.
On the esports front, Season 2024 will see changes to the qualification rules for the two global tournaments, the Mid-Season Invitational (MSI) and the World Championship (Worlds). The winning team at MSI will be awarded a guaranteed spot at Worlds, as well as an extra slot for their region. The second best-performing region will also secure an extra seed for their region. The base number of Worlds slots for the LEC, LCS, LCK, and LPL will be three, while the PCS and VCS will have two, and the LLA and CBLOL will have one.
Season 2024 will also introduce the LoL Esports Hall of Legends, the League’s version of a Hall of Fame. An independent voting panel of esports industry veterans and experts from every region will select the first inductee, who will be honored both in- and out-of-game. More details will be shared later.
Lastly, the new season will bring new merch to the Riot Games Merch store, such as the Jimei Palace Aatrox 1/6 Scale Statue and the Samira Unlocked Statue.
LoL Updates 2024
- Skarner’s visual gameplay update (VGU) is finishing up and will be heading to the Rift in the first half of the year.
- After Skarner, the team will work on two other champion updates: a champion featured in Arcane which will be updated to better match their depiction in the show and Shyvana who will be receiving special attention around her gameplay.
- Smolder the Fiery Fledgling will be going to PBE on January 9.
- After Smolder, players can expect a Vastayan, solo-laning, mid-range mage as the next champion.
- In 2024, Rammus and Olaf will be getting skins.
- The first half of 2024’s Prestige skins will be for Rakan, Ezreal, Kindred, Evelynn, and Kayle (in that order).
- The team is working through Lee Sin’s skin catalog now and his art and sustainability update (ASU) will be available to players in early May.
- Teemo’s ASU is taking the team longer than intended and will have an updated timeline to be shared later this year.
- Lunar Revel, the first event of the year, will feature new skinline Heavenscale and returning thematic Porcelain. Players can look forward to the following skins in patch 14.3 and 14.4:
Heavenscale Lee Sin
Prestige Heavenscale Ezreal
Heavenscale Master Yi
Prestige Porcelain Kindred
Porcelain Miss Fortune
Porcelain Aurelion Sol
- Other skinlines returning in the first half of 2024 are Porcelain, Faerie Court, PROJECT, and Blood Moon.
- Older Legendary skins will receive borders (Brolaf, Corporate Mundo, Dragon Trainer Tristana).
Arena will be back in the first half of the year with more improvements:
- The number of teams in a game of Arena will increase from four teams of two to eight for a total of 16 players.
- Changes to the UI will be made accordingly and there will be new Augments, maps, and other improvements.
- URF will be back for Lunar Revel in patch 14.3 and 14.4, and One-For-All after that.
- A new game mode coming later this year will be a different take on core League gameplay and will be a more relaxed way to spend time with friends.