Microsoft just unveiled its own Windows 8-branded tablet called Surface. If I’m not mistaken this is the first time the company designed its own hardware. The Surface tablet has two variants, one that runs Windows 8 RT which is ARM-based, and one that runs Windows 8 Pro which is Intel-based.
The hardware design of the Microsoft Surface is gorgeous. It looks classy and polished, as should be, considering that Microsoft itself designed the tablet. The screen of the Surface measures 10.6 inches and is an optically-bonded Gorilla Glass 2-covered HD display. The Surface comes in thin, measuring just 9.3mm. It is enclosed in an all-magnesium VaporMg case which is responsible for its 1.3-pound weight. As to other specs, the Surface sports an HDMI port, a microSD port, and USB 2.0. Users get 32GB or 64GB storage options. The tablet has a built-in stand and a twin 2×2 MIMO antennas for WiFi.
Just like Apple’s iPad, the Microsoft Surface comes with a magnetically attached cover. However, while Apple’s version only acts as a protective cover, Microsoft’s version acts as a full multi-touch keyboard and trackpad as well.
The Surface for Windows RT will be launched in fall of 2012, while Surface for Windows 8 Pro will be launched three months after. Pricing for both variants is still unknown.
Here are the specifications of the Surface for Windows RT and Surface for Windows 8 Pro tablets.
Surface for Windows RT Tablet Specifications
- NVIDIA Tegra-based ARM chip processor
- 10.6-inch ClearType HD display
- Windows RT + Office Home & Student 2013 RT
- 32GB / 64GB storage
- microSD, USB 2.0, Micro HD Video, 2×2 MIMO antennae
- 31.5Wh battery
- Weight: 676 grams
- Thickness: 9.3 millimeters
- Accessories: Touch Cover, Type Cover, VaporMg Case & Stand
Surface for Windows 8 Pro Tablet Specifications
- Intel Core i5 (Ivy Bridge) processor
- 10.6-inch ClearType Full HD (1080p) display
- Windows 8 Pro
- 64GB / 128GB storage
- microSDXC, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort, 2×2 MIMO antennae
- 42Wh battery
- Weight: 903 grams
- Thickness: 13.5 millimeters
- Accessories: Touch Cover, Type Cover, VaporMg Case & Stand, Pen with Palm Block
going win 8 pro. hope it supports usb print port
It’s look great , loved the
Spec-wise, it looks great. But seriously, that design? Looks like it came from the early 2000’s.
tablets in early 2000’s?