After buying a new smartphone, you either throw away the box or you keep it in a drawer never to be seen again. Alcatel found a cool way to re-use these boxes into something you’ll definitely keep — a Google Cardboard VR viewer.
According to a report by VentureBeat, an unannounced Alcatel smartphone called the Idol 4s will be packaged in a box that transforms into a Google Cardboard VR Viewer. This was based on an image leaked by Evan Blass, otherwise known as @evleaks. The phone will apparently come in a hard plastic packaging with a pair of lenses and a headband inside.
The Alcatel Idol 4s, which will probably make its debut at the MWC 2016, was accidentally leaked on its own website. And by looking at it’s reported specs, this could be Alcatel’s most ambitious device yet. The smartphone will come with a 5.5 inch quad HD AMOLED display, octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 652 processor, 3GB of RAM, and 16GB of storage.
Alcatel Idol 4s key specs:
- 5.5 inch quad HD AMOLED display
- Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 652 processor
- 3GB RAM / 32GB storage +microSD up to 512GB
- 16MP main camera with f/2.0, dual-tone flash, video stabilization
- 8MP front camera with wide angle, beautification, flash
- LTE, 3G
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac; Bluetooth v4.2, GPS
- NFC, OTG
- Boom Key (?)
- 3000mAh battery
I guess we’ll have to wait till the MWC 2016 before this becomes official. No other information is available, price or otherwise.