They finally did it. Avengers: Endgame (2019) has become the highest grossing movie of all time, edging out James Cameron’s Avatar (2009). It took 10 years for someone to break the record.
According to reports, Avengers: Endgame grossed over USD 2.79 billion at the global box office. The Marvel movie has a USD 500,000 lead over Avatar’s USD 2.78 billion haul.
Also Read: Watch: Avengers: Endgame Superbowl trailer
Endgame was the most anticipated movie at the time it hit theaters. Right out of the gate, it seemed unstoppable and amassed record-breaking sales. The movie earned USD 2.74 billion world wide but it wasn’t enough to take down Avatar’s record.
On June 21, Disney and Marvel Studios decided to rerelease Endgame and added extra footage in a last ditch effort to surpass Avatar. They eventually did break 10-year old record on July 21, 2019.
It was a celebration for Marvel Studios. But we all know who the real winner is — Disney. Six of the top 10 highest grossing movies belong to the house of mouse.
Oh, and let’s not feel bad for James Cameron. The second and third highest grossing movie belongs to him.
Top 10 highest grossing movies of all time:
- AVENGERS: ENDGAME (2019): USD 2.790 billion
- AVATAR (2009): USD 2.789 billion
- TITANIC (1997): USD 2.208 billion
- STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS (2015): USD 2.053 billion
- AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR (2018): USD 2.048 billion
- JURASSIC WORLD (2015): USD 1.671 billion
- MARVEL’S THE AVENGERS (2012): USD 1.519 billion
- FURIOUS 7 (2015): USD 1.516 billion
- AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON (2015): USD 1.405 billion
- BLACK PANTHER (2018): USD 1.346 billion