TL;DR: NEDA chief said you may be able to register online for the Philippines’ national ID system starting April 30, 2021.
According to the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) Secretary Karl Chua, online registration for the country’s national identification system starts on April 30, Friday.
GMA News reports that applicants will still need to personally go to a registration center to submit documents and scan for biometrics.
The national ID will be considered a primary ID (akin to other government-issued IDs such as the driver’s license, passport, and SSS UMID, among others). For citizens without an ID, it could be used to help open a bank account, essentially a doorway to our financial system.
For now, Secretary Chua noted that it could help fast track the country’s vaccination program, as well as aid in the distribution of financial aid (or ayuda) during the lockdown.
ALSO READ: PH banks implement interbank ATM fee hike
The Philippine Identification System Act (or RA 11055) was signed into law by President Rodrigo Duterte in 2018, which aims to provide valid proof of identity for Filipino citizens and resident aliens of the Philippines.
According to the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA), they are targeting to open registration of the general public by 2021.
How to register for the Philippine National ID
As to where and how to register, PSA said it will establish both fixed and mobile registration centers in strategic locations to register the population to PhilSys.
For those planning to register, you can prepare the documents in advance. Applicants are advised to present an original copy of at least one of the following:
- PSA-issued Certificate of Live Birth AND one (1) government-issued identification document which bears full name, front-facing photograph, and signature or thumb mark.
- DFA-issued Philippine Passport or ePassport;
- GSIS or SSS-issued Unified Multi-purpose Identification Card (UMID);
- Land Transportation Office (LTO)-issued Student’s License Permit or Non-Professional / Professional Driver’s License
- PSA-issued Certificate of Live Birth/NSO-issued Certificate of Live Birth with Birth Reference Number (BreN)
- LCRO-issued Certificate of Live Birth
- PSA-issued Report of Birth
- PSA-issued Certificate of Foundling
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) Identification Card
- Professional Regulatory Commission (PRC) ID
- Seaman’s Book
- Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) ID
- Senior Citizen’s ID
- SSS ID
- Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program (4Ps) ID
- License to Own or Possess Firearms (LTOPF) ID
- NBI Clearance
- Police Clearance/ID
- Solo Parent’s ID
- PWD ID
- Voter’s ID
- Postal ID
- Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) ID
- Philhealth ID
- Philippine Retirement Authority (PRA)-issued Special Resident Retiree’s Visa (SRRV)
- National ID from other countries
- Residence ID from other countries
The following identification documents shall be accepted as secondary supporting documents provided that they have a front-facing photograph, signature/Thumbmark, Full Name, Permanent Address, Date of Birth.
- Employee ID
- School ID
- Barangay Clearance/Certificate
- Barangay ID
- City/Municipal ID