To fast-track the registration of SIMs in far-flung areas with limited to no internet connection, the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) will roll out a 3-day SIM registration caravan.
The NTC is working with the DICT and public telecommunication entities (PTEs) to launch a nationwide assisted SIM Registration roadshow, targeting to hit five regions per day from January 25 to 27, 2023.
Pilot areas for the assisted registration are the following:
- Pasuquin, Ilocos Norte – Municipal Auditorium of Pasuquin
- Moalboal, Cebu – Municipal Hall of Moalboal
- Palo, Leyte – Municipal Gym of Palo
- Pangantucan, Bukidnon – Municipal Gymnasium of Pangantucan
- Malalag, Davao del Sur – Covered Court of Malalag
- Atok, Benguet – Basketball Court in Atok
- Camalaniugan, Cagayan – Camalaniugan Sports Complex in Brgy. Dacal, Lafugu, Maharlika Hi-way
- Calumpit, Bulacan – Municipal Covered Court of Calumpit
- Rosario, Batangas – Luancing Covered Court, back of Municipal Hall Brgy. Poblacion
- City of Zamboanga, Zamboanga del Sur – Multi-purpose covered court in Brgy. Arena Blanco
- Baco, Oriental Mindoro – Covered court in Brgy. Sta Rosa 1
- City of Ligao, Albay – Multi-purpose covered court in Brgy. Paulba, Ligao City
- Carles, Iloilo – Covered Gym of Carles in front of Municipal Hall
- Arakan, Cotabato – Emergency Operations Center (MDRRM Office) in Evacuation Center Bldg., Municipal Hall Compound, Poblacion
- Tagbina, Surigao del Sur – Municipal Gym of Tagbina
“The government-led facilitation of SIM registration in remote areas is intended to ensure that the implementation of the law is inclusive and that we finish the SIM registration on time. We are reaching out to SIM end-users in areas with limited telecommunication or internet access to assist them in registering their SIMs. The DICT’s Free Wi-Fi sites will serve as the hubs for SIM registration in geographically isolated and disadvantaged areas (GIDAs),” said DICT Spokesperson and Undersecretary Anna Mae Yu Lamentillo.
Smart and TNT were the first to deploy assisted SIM Registration booths and touchpoints across the country starting December 27, 2022, on the same day that Smart launched its SIM Registration portal.
So far, over 24 million SIM cards have been registered, as of January 22, 2023. Smart Communications reports a total of 12,167,220 SIMs registered, which is 17.9 percent of their total subscriber base. Globe Telecom recorded 9,988,656 registered or around 11.37 percent of its base. Lastly, DITO reports a total of 1,964,665 SIMs registered, or 14.99 percent of its base.