Now that the Philippine Identification System Act (RA No. 11055) is in place, it’s time we finally registered and applied for a national ID. Thankfully, the process is not difficult. You can register online and there are no fees involved.
The national ID system serves as a central identification platform for Filipinos. It is a proof of identity, which can be used in various transactions that need it, for both the government and the private sector. You can, for example, use it as a primary ID when applying for a bank account.
In this post, we’re going to show you how you can apply for your PhilSys National ID. Let’s go.
Who can apply
The PhilSys National ID is open to all Filipinos living in the Philippines or abroad. No age limit is required, but those below 18 years old will need to be accompanied by a guardian when they go to the registration centers. Foreigners who have lived in the Philippines for more than six months can also apply.
Step 1: Register Online
The first step is to register online by going to register.philsys.gov.ph. Online application is pretty straightforward.
- Go to register.philsys.gov.ph and click Proceed.
- We recommend you use your PH mobile number to register. You will be sent an OTP via SMS.
- Enter the OTP and agree to the privacy notice.
- Fill out the online form.
- Choose a Registration Center nearest you and schedule an appointment. If there are no open schedules, you can choose book later.
- If a schedule is confirmed, take a screen shot your appointment slip.
You can now log out at this point. To log back in, just use the PH mobile number you registered. You’ll be sent a new OTP, so a password is not required.
Step 2: Go to the Registration Center
The next step is going to your preferred registration center on your scheduled date. There, your details and supporting documents will be checked and validated. They will also record your biometric information, including your fingerprint and iris scans, and take a front-facing photograph.
Eligible registrants are required to show any of the following documents:
Primary Supporting Documents
- DFA-issued Philippine Passport or ePassport
- GSIS or SSS-issued Unified Multi-purpose Identification Card (UMID)
- Land Transportation Office (LTO)-issued Student’s License Permit or Non-Professional/Professional Driver’s License
- PSA-issued Certificate of Live Birth AND one (1) government-issued identification document which bears full name, front-facing photograph, and signature or thumb mark
Secondary Supporting Documents
- PSA-issued Certificate of Live Birth/NSO-issued Certificate of Live Birth with Birth Reference Number (BreN)
- LCRO-issued Certificate of Live Birth
- PSA-issued Report of Birth
- PSA-issued Certificate of Foundling
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) Identification Card
- Professional Regulatory Commission (PRC) ID
- Seaman’s Book
- Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) ID
- Senior Citizen’s ID
- SSS ID
- Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program (4Ps) ID
- License to Own or Possess Firearms (LTOPF) ID
- NBI Clearance
- Police Clearance/ID
- Solo Parent’s ID
- PWD ID
- Voter’s ID
- Postal ID
- Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) ID
- Philhealth ID
- Philippine Retirement Authority (PRA)-issued Special Resident Retiree’s Visa (SRRV)
- National ID from other countries
- Residence ID from other countries
You can view the full list of primary and secondary documents at https://www.philsys.gov.ph/supporting-documents/.
The application process is pretty much done at this point. They will issue your PhilSys Number or PSN. The national ID will be delivered to your home.