The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) officially opened its Motorcycle Riding Academy in Pasig City on September 27, 2023. The academy aims to provide free and comprehensive training to motorcycle riders on traffic rules, road safety, and emergency response.
The Motorcycle Riding Academy is the first of its kind in the Philippines and is part of the MMDA’s efforts to reduce motorcycle-related accidents and fatalities in Metro Manila.
According to the MMDA Metro Manila Accident Reporting and Analysis System (MMARAS), motorcycle riders were among the highest road crash fatalities in 2018, accounting for approximately 38% of the total 590 fatalities. The number of fatalities increased between 2020 and 2021, reaching 253 and 295, respectively.
The academy can accommodate up to 100 participants per batch. The two-day training program is free and covers both theoretical and practical aspects of motorcycle riding. The participants will only need to bring their own helmets and personal protective gear, as motorcycles and gasoline will be provided by the MMDA.
The theoretical lectures include topics such as Basic Road Emergency Response; Road Traffic Rules and Regulations; Motorcycle Orientation on basic parts; control and operation of motorcycles; demonstration of static position and moving position, and Motorcycle Skills Practice and Demonstration.
The academy also offers basic emergency response training, which teaches riders how to react and handle various scenarios that may occur on the road, such as sudden brakes, potholes, or turns. The training also equips riders with quick reflexes and decision-making skills that could save their lives or others in case of an accident.
The MMDA Motorcycle Riding Academy is located along Meralco Avenue in Pasig City.
How to join the Motorcycle Riding Academy
If you are interested in joining the Motorcycle Riding Academy, here are some of the requirements and procedures that you need to follow:
- Participants must be able to balance and ride a bicycle.
- You must have your own standard full-face helmet, full-finger motorcycle gloves, and rain gear. A reflective safety vest is optional. Motorcycles will be provided by the Academy.
- Those who will complete the Basic Motorcycle Rider Course and pass the Motorcycle Riding Skills Test will be given a Certificate of Completion and a badge.
- For applicants 17 years of age, a motorcycle safety course waiver form must be signed by both the student and his/her parents.
- Photocopies of Driver’s License or Student’s Permit (if available, but not necessarily a requirement)
- Barangay clearance
- Certificate of Employment (if employed)
- Medical certificate/health declaration
- Signed waiver form if the applicant is 17 years old
Interested applicants must submit the online enrollment form through this link: https://forms.gle/UPPbryVoaKoiyxJE9.